To realize cost savings, the Board of Selectmen have decided to reduce the staffing at the Town Office from three to two over the course of the next three months. At that time, the board will review the service provided to the town and make a decision if the changes will become permanent. There will be no changes to the office hours during this period.
NOTICE Graves at all cemeteries in Jonesport need to have all unwanted items removed from the graves to get ready for Memorial Day. There is a dumpster available for people to toss things in at the Greenwood Cemetary. After May 14th, any items left will be considered unwanted and will be thrown away so the graves can be mown.
Thank you. The Jonesport Cemetery Committee.
TOWN OF JONESPORT
SELECTMEN’S MEETING MINUTES
Date: May 04, 2016 Time: 4:00 p.m.
Place: Town Office, 70 Snare Creek Lane
Opened by: Selectman Alley, Milliken and Fish
Attended by: Dwight Smith, Jr, Milton Merchant, Joe McDonald, Irene Rogers, Assistant to the Board of Selectmen and Nancy Beal.
Approval of Minutes: April 27, 2016 Selectmen’s Meeting: Motion to accept by S Fish, Seconded by S. Alley all in favor. Approved.
- Working Waterfront Access Committee: Joe McDonald presented the facts concerning a feasibility study. The Committee is hoping to receive a grant to help with the cost associated with the study. He explained that attendance of meetings by Committee members and even the audience can count towards in kind funding. But there will still be matching funds needed, once or if, the grant is awarded to the Town of Jonesport. The matching funds would be up to $3,750. A motion was made by Selectman Milliken and seconded by Selectman Fish, all in favor to approve the matching funds if the grant is awarded for the feasibility study.
- Campground: There is a need for the outside pipe to be extended above the privy. Selectman Alley will look into the costs associated with such a project.
- Roque Island court decision: The court ruled in favor of the Town but because this was a civil case, no legal fees were rewarded to the Town from the Appellant. The court case was for the 2014 taxes assessed by the Town. There is a new appeal filed with the Town by the Roque Island owners for the 2015 taxes.
- Cemetery bids: There were three bids received for the cutting of trees at the Greenwood Cemetery: Coastal Tree Svc. $18,000.; Dwight Smith, Jr. $16,500.; and Nor’east Tree Removal with a bid of $12,000. The Selectmen had questions that needed to be answered by Nor’east Tree Removal so the awarding of bids was tabled until next week.
- Possible Grants: There are two possible grants that could benefit Jonesport. One grant is for a recreational trail and the other is for a rain gauge used in collection of weather data. The Selectmen suggested the land adjacent to the rear of the Salt/Sand Shed in Mason’s Bay area may be a possible location for a recreational trail. The Shellfish Committee will be made aware of the rain gauge grant, as the closing of clam flats right now is relying on information gathered from surrounding areas, not necessarily from Jonesport proper.
- BikeMe meeting: The two BikeMe coordinators will be in Jonesport at the town office on May 11th at 9 a.m. to discuss the upcoming Sept. ride through event.
- School budget meetings: The elementary school budget meeting will be held on May 11th at 6 p.m. and the high school budget meeting will be held on May 12th at 6 p.m.
- The W. Main Street repair project: The project will be put out to bid. All bids must be received by June 1st and will be awarded at the Selectmen’s meeting that evening. The project must be completed by August 1st. The bid invitation will be published in the local papers for two consecutive weeks.
- 4th of July Committee sweeping: At their next meeting, the Committee will discuss whether they want to be in charge of street sweeping.
- Legal matters: Selectman Milliken will contact the Town attorney concerning ongoing legal matters and report back to the Board.
A motion was made by Selectman Alley, seconded by Selectman Fish, all in favor, to adjourn the meeting at 5:35 p.m.